I know meeting with wedding vendors can be tough. I remember calling up vendors for my wedding and having no idea what to say. And when it comes to your wedding you want to hire a photographer whose work you love, but is also an professional you can trust. So when I meet up with couples for the first time, I try to answer all the questions I can think of to help them out. But I also put together this list of questions to ask a wedding photographer.
These questions here will make sure you are hiring a photographer that you can depend on and ensure that you have clear expectations on what you can expect while working with them.
The questions have been structured so that they hopefully flow into a natural conversation nicely.
Here is the general flow of the questions:
- Start by getting to know the photographer you are meeting with and the experience that he or she has
- Find out what they offer and the package prices
- Understand how the actual wedding day will flow
- Understand what the photographer will be delivering & what product options are available
- Ensure that they are prepared for anything that could go wrong with a plan B
- Figure out what the next steps are if you’d like to book them
The important thing to remember when meeting with a photographer is that there are no right/wrong answers to these questions. Keep an open mind when meeting with a photographer and his or her specific workflow and style. Remember that your goal is to hire a photographer who is professional, that you have clear expectations on what you can expect from them & most importantly, can give wedding photos you’ll love.
Get To Know Your Photographer…
- How long have you been into photography? How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
- Why do you like to photograph weddings?
Find out what they offer and the prices…
- Can I see coverage from a complete wedding?
- How many images do you typically deliver for a wedding?
- What is the cost? And what are the payment terms?
- Are there any additional fees?
- Are your prices guaranteed if I sign a contract?
- Do you have a product price list?
- What products (prints, albums, canvases) are include in the wedding package?
- What is the ordering process for products (prints, albums, canvases) and how long does it take to receive them? Can we see samples?
- Will we receive a disc of the images?
- Are the digital files provided high resolution and watermark free?
- Can we or family members purchase images after the wedding?
What if you need a Plan B?
- What happens if you get sick or unable to photograph our wedding?
- What happens if the weather is bad and we can’t do outdoor photos?
- Do you have back-up equipment?
- Are my photos backed-up?
Wedding Day Details
- What a does typical wedding coverage look like for you?
- How long will it be before we get to see our pictures? How long will it be before we receive our pictures after the wedding?
- Will you pick the photo locations, or do we have to find them?
- Will the photos be a mix of color & black & white?
- Do you have any references?
- If I get a picture in color, but would prefer black & white, will you do that? And if so, would there be an additional cost?
- Who will be my wedding photographer? Will it actually be you? (if a studio has multiple photographers)
- How many other events will your also photograph that weekend?
- What happens if I’d like you to stay late that day?
- Is there an additional cost for retouching?
- How long do you keep the files on your computer?
- Is there a limit on the amount of pictures that you take?
- What kind of processing or retouching will the final images have?
- What steps do I need to take to book you?